Butt FM, Chindia ML, Rana F, Machigo FG.Pattern of head and neck malignant neoplasms in HIV-infected patients in Kenya.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008 Sep 8.

Citation:
J PROFCHINDIAMARK. "Butt FM, Chindia ML, Rana F, Machigo FG.Pattern of head and neck malignant neoplasms in HIV-infected patients in Kenya.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008 Sep 8.". In: Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008 Sep 8. Hekima III (1) 27-42; 2008.

Abstract:

HIV-infected patients face a greater risk of developing malignant disease. The most commonly reported neoplasms of the head and neck region include Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). There is also an increased risk of oral squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). A descriptive cross-sectional study including HIV-infected patients with neoplastic and non-neoplastic lesions was conducted. Of the 200 participants, 116 (58%) were male and 84 (42%) female with an age range of 18-61 years (mean 37 years). The females were significantly younger (mean 33 years) than the males (mean 37 years) (t test; 2.57; P<0.05 [0.001]). The prevalence of neoplastic lesions in this study was 27%; 37 (68%) patients had KS, 9 (17%) had SCC, 7 (13%) had NHL and 1 (2%) had Burkitt's lymphoma. More females than males presented with lesions of KS and SCC compared with NHL. The youngest patient presented with SCC at 18 years (mean 35.7 years), followed by KS at 23 years (mean 36.3 years) and NHL at 33 years (mean 43.9 years). Most study participants (97%) were in stage III/IV of the disease and the remaining 3% in stage II. In this study, the most common malignant neoplasms were KS, SCC and NHL, manifesting in a younger age group than in the non-HIV group of patients.

Notes:

n/a

Website

UoN Websites Search